Amazon AWS Review
The technical support was a 7 on a scale of 1-10, but dynamic usage and flexibility.

Valuable Features

Dynamic usage and flexibility in choosing configurations. Also the fact that Amazon’s security team is much larger than anything I could ever assemble gives me reliance that this run time environment is going to be more secure than anything I can deploy.

Improvements to My Organization

I needed to stand up a prototype server that did not conform to my corporate IT standards. By using AWS I was able to stand up my prototype in a few hours, run my demo and be done.

Room for Improvement

The connection between the billing console and the management console is not obvious so shutting down a machine was hard to find initially and resulted in excess billing.

Use of Solution

I have been using this solution for 5 years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

No issues with scalability.

Customer Service: Customer service was pretty good. It was responsive but it took 2-3 iterations on the billing/Management issue before they understood the problem I ran into.Technical Support: The technical support was a 7 on a scale of 1-20

I have used Amazon Elastic Beanstalk and Windows Azure. My primary choice to use AWS was because the prototype server stack was specified as an AMI (Amazon Machine Image).

If you have not used AWS, its not as straightforward as it could be to choose what stack configuration a particular AMI requires before loading it. OTOH the “Amazon Web Service Pricing Calculator” is currently the gold standard for cloud vendors.

Implementation Team

We implemented in-house.

ROI

Not applicable, the ROI came from the agility to quickly standup the environment I needed.

Pricing, Setup Cost and Licensing

Approximately $200/mo.

Other Solutions Considered

I have used Azure, and Horuko.

Other Advice

Use the AWS pricing calculator to understand how the services fit together.