Amazon AWS Review
It is more stable than any infrastructure you will have in your own server room. The only problems I had with deployment were with Amazon authorizing our account initially.

How has it helped my organization?

Everything is moving into the cloud and AWS is the leader. Not understanding puts a person behind.

I've worked with charities so the ability to host a static website in an S3 bucket at very low cost is great. Also, the ability to scale up and down, depending on project and funding status is ideal for the charity sector.

Glacier storage means files that need to be kept for legal purposes (7 years) - but accessed infrequently - can be stored cheaply in Glacier.

What is most valuable?

• S3 storage buckets
  • Glacier storage
  • EC2 instances
  • Cloud Trail API log storage

What needs improvement?

Amazon are as innovative as they are able to deliver. Areas that need improvement are dealt with pretty quickly so I have no complaints. Perhaps the fact that they are innovating so quickly can be seen as a problem for organisations that don't invest in their staff?

None. Amazon's cloud is more stable than any infrastructure you will have in your own server room.

It's very easy to spin up virtual machines and deploy load balancers.

For free support, their forums cover almost every problem encountered by users on AWS. For one-to-one problems, I found their customer service people to be good.

Technical support is excellent.

I used to use Rackspace but AWS's innovation and range of products meant I swapped over.

It can be daunting because of the number of AWS products there are. It doesn't take long to skill yourself on the basics of what each one does (in the beginning you will probably be using S3, EC2, and IAM and there are lots of short courses or guides to read).

AWS is scalable depending on your needs so pricing is dependant on what you use. Just be careful not to leave VMs running as you can find your next monthly bill a little higher than normal - AWS did cover that with billing alarms so it's not all bad news.

2 visitors found this review helpful

6 Comments

Gurudeva Kalledevarpurada BReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

I have been working on Amazon Web Services. In my opinion, it is a great infrastructure.

23 March 16
Aimee WhiteReal UserELITE SQUADTOP 5

Amazon is interesting because you go away for 6 months, come back, and there are 5 new products that work. Not many cloud suppliers can match that.

06 April 16
Paulo Sérgio AmaralConsultantTOP 20

The most obvious cost advantage of AWS is that it has literally zero setup costs ! Developing countries in Asia and Africa have difficulty use these services because of the internet links which are low-speed and very expensive. In this case , the cost to purchase hardware is very high because of transportation costs. I Work in East Timor and here we have difficulties to implement low cost solutions and innovative services to local government . I believe that AWS would have significant impact on the return on ROI.

Naresh SehgalReal UserTOP 20

yes, but AWS performance is not always predictable, which is why companies like New Relic exist. I taught a Cloud Computing Class at Santa Clara Univ last fall, and we used tools from Meghafind to discover the daily or hourly performance variations in AWS.

Gurudeva Kalledevarpurada BReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

You need to define the architecture correctly and set-it up properly. You need to use tools like Cloudwatch to watch the metrics, CloudFormation Tool to define a working architecture and then use it to copy the working architecture to different regions/environments. Some amount of effort is required. I have not used New Relic though. AWS is Gartner no.1 product. You could compare it with Azure, Bluemix, Pivotal Cloud etc.

Orlee GillisConsultant

Wow, Aimee, it's great to know you have a 'no complaint' sentiment about AWS!

Given that you had originally spent what sounds like a large amount of time dealing with customer service, how did they succeed in delivering you to a place where you have 'no complaints' about the platform?

14 September 16