Amazon DynamoDB Review

Good scalability, low subscription cost, and meets our requirements

What is our primary use case?

I am currently using it for proof of concept and testing out its capabilities. We are publishing the IoT data on DynamoDB. We have its latest version.

What is most valuable?

Its scalability is really good. I can go up to a petabyte of data. It is more of an on-demand use case. I can go from 100 MB to 1 PB if I want, which is very good. Most of the other databases would want you to stick to a specific data allocation.

Its subscription cost is lower than similar databases offered by other vendors.

What needs improvement?

Currently, there is no option for a scheduled refresh in this solution. We want the data to be populated into DynamoDB on a timely basis. Currently, you have to go to the DynamoDB table and hit the refresh button to populate it with the new data. If you have connected DynamoDB to a BI application for creating visualizations with charts, graphs, or other things, you would want it to get updated as per the schedule so that you have updated visualizations in your BI application.

We have been using AWS for close to one and a half years, and we have been using DynamoDB for 45 to 60 days.

It is stable. It is meeting our requirements. In fact, it is way better than what I expected. It is doing more than what I need.

Its scalability is really good. I can go as low as 100 MB and as high as 1 PB.

I didn't run into any issues, so I didn't need any support. The forums and documentation that Amazon provides are pretty much self-explanatory.

We were using another service called Amazon RDS for our data requirements. RDS is not as quick as DynamoDB, but it is not meant to be as quick as DynamoDB. RDS has its own use case, so they are not comparable. They have different use cases. We are switching to DynamoDB because our use case changed.

It is pretty straightforward. It is as simple as it can be. You do need to know what sort of data you have, which is a minimum requirement. After you get that in, everything is very much simple. You don't even need to go through a tutorial. It is that fast.

It is being done in-house, but as our client base grows, we might end up switching to a consultant.

Its subscription cost is lower than similar databases offered by other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution based on the use case. It is pretty straightforward, and we haven't had any major issues. It is just plug-and-play. There is nothing else that you need to do.

I would rate Amazon DynamoDB an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon DynamoDB vs. Microsoft Azure Cosmos DB and other solutions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.