Amazon DynamoDB Review

Provides support for local development. I would like to see a tool to view the items inside the tables.

What is most valuable?

The design approach of DynamoDB makes it very fast and scalable.

We have used most of the features offered by DynamoDB because the product is mature and they fit very well.

They are planning to introduce versioning in the future (http://docs.aws.amazon.com/amazondynamodb/latest/developerguide/DynamoDBMapper.OptimisticLocking.html).

How has it helped my organization?

The application runs much faster and the query response time is three to five times faster when compared to Google Datastore.

The admin console is also very user friendly and provides hands-on features for the development team.

It provides good support for local development.

What needs improvement?

• The documentation could be refined to explain some basic topics better.
  • The local DynamoDB version doesn't come with a tool to view the items inside the tables, so a third-party licensed product is required.
  • An API to make the creation of complex queries with filters, limits, and offsets much easier is something to consider for future releases.
  • Some things must be implemented manually and that takes a lot of time. At the same time, they are offered within the API in other NoSQL solutions.
  • There is room for improvement of how the indexes are handled.
  • An automated tool for increasing and decreasing the read/write capacity based on alarms would be welcomed.

We have been using the product for around six months.

There have been no stability issues. It works very well so far.

The design is based on key-value and offers great scalability and speed.

We have been using paid technical support during the development phase. I would give technical support a rating of 9/10.

They respond very fast and give good solutions, but sometimes they realize that it is a bug in the product and can't tell you when it will be fixed.

We used Google Datastore, but we switched to DynamoDB because we migrated to AWS.

The initial setup was straightforward.

Pricing is more complex than buying a license, so it depends on the products' needs.

We evaluated Microsoft Azure as a cloud solution, but in the end, we decided to go with AWS.

What other advice do I have?

If you want a very fast NoSQL database, and you are willing to do some extra work in order to implement complex queries, DynamoDB is the way to go.