Amazon Elastic Load Balancing Review

Easy to implement and integrates well with Amazon's solutions, but reporting would be a helpful feature

What is our primary use case?

We have a lot of customers who are currently not on Amazon; they are running on-premise data centers. When they ask us to migrate, we migrate their applications to Amazon. Load Balancing is often a component we use. We use HTTPS port 443, and we integrate the load balancer with the applications.

What is most valuable?

• Very easy to implement.
  • Very well integrated into Amazon's services.

What needs improvement?

It would be good if we had a product that integrates well with third-party vendors. Some of our customers want a multi-cloud solution. They don't want to be tied up to or be in just one cloud. In that case, a third-party solution that could integrate with the cloud as well as with on-premise would be great.

Reporting would be a good feature as well.

I have been working with Amazon Elastic Load Balancing for about two years.

So far it has not given us any problem. It's always running, 24/7.

The workload that we have put on it has not required surplus scalability. It has been able to handle our customers' loads. We have not come across a situation where massive scalability has been required, so far, and we have implemented it for large companies.

We have not reached out to support so far, for Amazon Elastic Load Balancing.

We do have their API Gateway and we have had to reach out to support twice. The API gateway nodes went down and they had to restart the nodes. I consider API Gateway as also having some kind of internal load balancing.

The setup is straightforward. It took a couple of hours, with one person involved.

I have not seen other products so that I can compare them and tell you the Amazon solution needs improvement. So far, its functionality has been enough for the projects we have done.

What other advice do I have?

We have not used the network load balancer so far in Amazon. We have only used the application load balancer. As far as an application load balancer is concerned, it doesn't require any additional features.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner, reseller.