Amazon EMR Review

Stable but could offer better dashboard management and workarounds for multi-factor authentication

What is most valuable?

We're working to try the solution on a small-scale first. It's great that it's a solution that allows us to try it bit by bit.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

The stability of the product has been great overall.

Technical support has been knowledgeable and helpful.

What needs improvement?

The dashboard management could be better. Right now, it's lacking a bit.

I'd like more of a remote connection between my computer and the solution.

We have multi-factor authentication, and at one point it was an issue due to the fact that I lost my phone. It stopped me from accessing the system.

We have to replicate all the infrastructure and we need to ensure that we have the scalability and to do so in production. We are hoping that Amazon will allow us to scale easily. However, we have not attempted to scale just yet.

I've been using the solution for a while, however, I can't specify the exact amount of time. It might have been approximately six to a year ago. I may have started using it in March 2020.

We haven't had any issues with Amazon in terms of stability. It's been good so far.

I can't exactly speak to the scalability of the solution just yet. All of the products we are using are in the development phase. We're testing everything out. Once we go into production we'll likely look more closely at scaling, however, at this point, it's not necessary. Therefore, I can't really discuss anything about it.

Technical support has been very good so far. We've been quite happy with them. They are knowledgeable and responsive and we are satisfied with the level of support provided to us.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's not extremely complex.

However, it's difficult to reset the multi-factor authentication once it is set up. This was an issue for me when we lost the phone.

The price of the solution may be a bit more than other competitors, such as Microsoft.

I did look at other solutions before choosing Amazon. We did look at Microsoft as well, among others.

What other advice do I have?

In general, I would rate the solution at a four out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Find out what your peers are saying about Amazon, Cloudera, Apache and others in Hadoop. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.