Amazon Lightsail Review

Good usability and customer service for a reasonable price

What is our primary use case?

We were using Amazon Lightsail to reduce our on-premises cost and also to make it available for use anytime and anywhere.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are the usability and customer service.

What needs improvement?

In the next release, they need better integration with Oracle, Big Data systems, and DevOps. In general, with new serverless technology and microservices architecture, they need to do more on an enterprise scale. As it is now, I see this as a PoC or at a basic consumer level. I don't see this solution as enterprise-ready, for bigger companies like banks.

I have been using Amazon Lightsail for between five and six years.

Lightsail is fairly stable, I'd say. We did have an issue with stability, although it was not with Amazon rather, it was with how we were deploying on Amazon.

The technical support was quite good. I found that they were available, although I'm not sure that they were actually able to solve our problem.

I have used Oracle but I have not compared the pricing between the two.

The services that it provides are good for the price.

What other advice do I have?

This solution is still new in terms of containerized platforms. If you have your own vendor then Amazon may or may not support that. One of the biggest issues is the technology that is not supported on Amazon, which means that you can't migrate to the cloud.

My advice for anybody who is considering this solution is that it is suitable for SaaS services. On the other hand, for IaaS, I would say that it shouldn't be used for financially critical data. The reason is that there is no security compliance. For example, your account information and confidential data should not be moved to this system. On the other hand, if it is analytics with simple, non-critical reports, then it is fine.

Every cloud provider has its own plusses and minuses. In some areas, I would rate this solution a ten out of ten, while in other areas I would rate it a three.

Overall, I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)