Amazon Redshift Review

We create different-sized clusters and orchestrate them using the SDK.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features to us are: speed, DML, the fact that it is cloud-based, the management console, and Boto3.

Because we are dealing with a lot of data, speed is always important. Redshift is blistering fast when doing "deep" copies and inserts. Conceptually, my data-transformation pipelines are a series of proprietary "waves" that leverage Redshift's DML/"deep" copy/insert strengths. Doing all this in the cloud allows us to easily test alternatives. We create different sized Redshift clusters and orchestrate them by using the SDK (Python Boto3). We go beyond the traditional DWH to "infrastructure-as-software".

How has it helped my organization?

Redshift has helped to transform Makerbot into a data-driven company.

What needs improvement?

Integrating database security/access rights with AWS IAM would be great. I would also like to see more DML features that might aid in processing unstructured or log-file data. This would allow us to avoid having to use EMR/Hadoop.

We’ve used Amazon Redshift for 3 years.

We did not encounter any deployment issues.

We did not encounter any issues with stability.

We did not encounter any issues with scalability.

I think the customer services is adequate.

The level of technical support is good.

We tried prior solutions, but they had limited or no scalability/agility.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It took less than a year for the product to pay for itself.

Regarding pricing and licensing, I advise to start small and have your developers/DBA use table compression and partitioning from the start.

We have used different options over the last 20 years. We found AWS Redshift to be the leader in capability and provides an ecosystem of related services from AWS, many of which are free.

What other advice do I have?

My advice to other is to prototype, prototype, prototype! Everything depends on your data and what you need to do to it. No two projects are the same.