Amazon Redshift Review

It supports SCD1 and SCD2, and the star schema. Improvement is needed in the scope of data types and complex RDBMS functionalities.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of this product are:

• Processing huge data in petabytes
  • Massively Parallel Processing (MPP)
  • Concept of data compression
  • The way it stores the data in drives especially with the distribution key
  • Supports BI tools like MicroStrategy (MSTR) and Tableau
  • Supports all the data warehouse core features such as SCD1 and SCD2, and different schemas like the star schema

How has it helped my organization?

It has helped us to understand the response and interest of the customers and the user conversion rate in this competitive world. Thus, it has helped us in the decision-making process.

What needs improvement?

In most of the scenarios, the data source for Redshift will be traditional RDBMS like MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL server, etc. After migrating to Redshift, we will find few disconnects for w.r.t data types, the stored procedures and other complex functionalities. There is a need for improvement in these aspects, mainly in the scope of data types and some complex functionalities which we can perform in RDBMS.

I have used this solution for more than a year.

I have not encountered any issues with stability. In terms of performance, Redshift is highly stable.

I have not encountered any issues with scalability. We can easily scale the nodes in AWS only with a few clicks.

I would give the technical support a 6 out of 10 rating.

We have not used any other solution.

The setup was straightforward for those who know AWS.

The Redshift pricing policy is easy to understand.

We did not evaluate other options prior to selecting this solution.

What other advice do I have?

As of now, Redshift is far better than the other products in the market.

Lastly, I would like to mention that Redshift is more about scaling and stabilizing your data. One should also focus on data modeling from time to time.