Amazon Redshift Review

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are:

• PostgreSQL Interface
  • Scalability
  • Pricing/Maintenance/Setup

The PostgreSQL interface is good because you can play with big data with just SQL. This is one of the reasons why they made Hive.

However, Hive’s SQL is still not as standard as what Redshift provides:

How has it helped my organization?

Redshift has been the data warehouse in at least three of my previous companies. The impact is huge to anyone who uses data in any way.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see improvements in the database integrations. Currently, Amazon does not provide real-time/near real-time integration with other products like RDS or DynamoDB out-of-the-box.

We need to either build the integrations ourselves, or rely on third-party services which are not always the best.

We have been using this solution for over three years.

There were stability issues in the beginning. However, the product has improved quite a lot in the last two years in term of stability.

Redshift can scale up to a petabyte with a few simple clicks.

Technical support is good, but similar to any other Amazon Web Service, you have to pay for a good level of technical support.

We did not have a previous solution. Redshift worked for us the first time we tried. The pricing could not be beaten by anything else in the market at that time.

The installation was straightforward and only required a few clicks.

Pricing was quite a strong point of Redshift when it was first released. Nowadays, quite a number of other services are very competitive in pricing, such as BigQuery.

What other advice do I have?

Redshift, like any other big data technology, isn’t a silver bullet for everything. The most important thing is to understand your data and your requirements before you make any decision to use any technology.