Amazon Redshift Review
Columnar-storage databases leverage the Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) capabilities of its data warehouse architecture.

What is most valuable?

• Performance: Very fast query performance due to columnar-storage databases that leverage the Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) capabilities of its data warehouse architecture.
  • Petabyte-scale data warehouse, without any loss in performance and low cost: One of our existing customers stores more than 500 terabytes of data in an AWS Redshift database and the warehouse performance was good. We want to highlight that even if the warehouse size increases to petabytes, Redshift would still work fine and there wouldn’t be any performance issues and would cost less also.

How has it helped my organization?

The end users were able to have access to real-time analytics.

What needs improvement?

We would really like to see a few more connectors included that would enable connecting with other databases and services. We have faced some difficulties pulling data from Teradata and storing it in Redshift. There is no direct connector available between Teradata and Redshift.

We are working with this product for the past 24 months.

We have not faced any stability related issue so far.

We did not encounter any scalability issues in the last 24 months that we have been working with Redshift.

We actually had to reach out to technical support a few times and they were really helpful and solved our problems. We would give it 4/5.

We were using an on-premise MySQL data warehouse. To reduce the cost and improve scalability, we switched to a cloud version of data warehouse databases.

Initial setup and configuration was pretty straightforward. First, we needed to create a Redshift cluster. Once the cluster was created, we created a database schema based on our need in the Redshift cluster.

AWS Redshift is one of the fastest and most cost-effective cloud-based databases. They have charged $3330 per TB/year for the ds2.8x large instances which have 244 GB RAM, 36-core CPU, 10Gbps network and 16 TB HDD.

What other advice do I have?

You need to design the database structure with best sort and distribution keys, along with primary and foreign keys.

1 Comment

Padmanesh NCReal UserTOP 5LEADERBOARD

Hey Aju Mathew,

It was a nice review about Amazon Redshift. I am also using this for last 3 year. I would like to understand a bit in terms of pricing. I am using there instance based on $0.25/per node/per hour. So If I am using 100 node cluster I have bane 25$ per hour. But as you said something like $3330 / year/ tb. Can you please elaborate the same. Is that based on node size or storage size?

18 April 17