Amazon Redshift Review
Gives us the ability to increase space requirements

What is most valuable?

• Easy to build out our snowflake design and load data
  • Ability to dynamically increase space requirements
  • Good speed
  • Extremely reliable

How has it helped my organization?

We use Redshift as our primary BI data repository. It provides BI for all four of our product lines, which run on Redshift. It is low cost and highly reliable!

What needs improvement?

It would be nice if we could turn off an instance. However, it would retain the instance in history, thus allowing us to restart without beginning from scratch.

We have been using this a little over a year.

It is pretty easy to learn and use. If you've worked with SQL before, you won't have any problems. Also, it works very well with Talend, which is our ETL tool.

No issues of stability at this point.

No issues of scalability at this point.

I don't know that we've ever had to contact AWS for Redshift assistance. Everything is straightforward.

Not applicable.

This was our first foray into a data warehouse and customer facing BI.

We went into the project with a design in mind and Redshift provided a great working platform. Our ETL tool helped us out in building the metadata and Birst built out many of the necessary tables.

The primary implementation was done in-house, with assistance from Birst during the Birst installation.

The corporate expectation is to break-even after the first year of selling BI to our customer base. We'll know this by end of Q2, 2018. On the positive side, the addition of BI has helped close multiple sales, so we're beating the competitors with our BI tools (running on Redshift).

BI is sold to our customer base as a part of the initial sales bundle. A customer may elect to opt for a white labeled site for an up-charge.

We pretty much went with Redshift, as the company migrated everything to AWS. We might have looked at other database options, but we did not put much time into it.

What other advice do I have?

Plan out your our DB design in advance and test your theories on running a small instance first. Use a good ETL tool, like Talend, so updates can be scheduled easily. Don't try to write these from scratch. Redshift has been a great DB for us to date. We haven't seen any slowdowns or outages!