Amazon Redshift Review
It helped my customers migrate off on-premise platforms

What is most valuable?

Redshift COPY command, because much of my work involved helping customers migrate large amounts of data into Redshift.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped my customers migrate off on-premise platforms such as Teradata to Redshift, at a fraction of the cost.

What needs improvement?

There are challenges with dealing with character set mismatches. Migrating data from other data sources can be challenging when you are working with multibyte character sets.

Two years.

I personally haven’t hit scalability issues but at dinner a year ago with a few of my existing customers (all Fortune 500 companies), I was told there are scalability issues once you get to 32-nodes.

One of my previous customers told me they were migrating off Redshift because they hit the ceiling and had scalability issues. They told me the responsiveness they were getting was inferior to alternative solutions once your Redshift gets to a specific size.

I never utilized AWS technical support.

I’ve helped customers migrate off Teradata, SQL Server , Oracle Exadata, Greenplum, and ParAccel Matrix to Redshift. Some due to cost savings, others because of the EOL of the product.

Setup of Redshift infrastructure is pretty straightforward. I’ve been told that setting up partitions can be tricky in order to ensure good performance.

I have nothing to add here as I wasn’t involved in this part of the process. However, one of my customers went with Google Big Query over Redshift because it was significantly cheaper for their project.

I only provided advice to my customers, but some looked at Azure SQL DW , Greenplum, Netezza, and Google Big Query as possible alternatives

What other advice do I have?

Be careful with vendor lock-in! You cannot move your Redshift environment to a different cloud provider or to an on-premise solution.