Amazon Redshift Review

Stable and easy to migrate to the could but data uploading could be faster

What is our primary use case?

Our data warehouse is Redshift now.

What is most valuable?

Overall, I'm satisfied with the solution so far, and, from an accounting perspective, it works well for my tasks and duties.

The product is very stable.

Changing from local servers to the cloud is very easy. It's so nice not to have to worry about physical servers.

What needs improvement?

We need more AWS applications. They have some solutions from Amazon that can manage performance, however, we will need something that can also manage financial reporting, visualization, and analytics - instead of having to go to other solutions like Tableau or Power BI. If they can offer comparable options, we'd like to be able to choose all AWS solutions instead of other platforms.

The refreshment rate of data reaching Redshift from other sources should be faster.

It could be more efficient during tasks such as data refreshing or uploading.

I've been using the solution for about a year or so. It hasn't been too long just yet.

The solution is very stable. It's better than OWC, as a technology. There are no bugs or glitches. It doesn't crash or freeze. It's reliable.

I cannot speak to how helpful technical support is as this is not my area of expertise here. I'm not directly connected with AWS. That said, it is my understanding that they are doing a pretty good job with our own technical team and they have been helpful.

We used ODBC before to maintain our tables. Oracle ODBC was used as a server, as a data warehouse environment.

Changing to Redshift was a big change for us. However, after a while, we get used to it and it is okay now as it's coming together under a bigger picture of a framework, as a bigger framework. We are going to keep everything in the cloud and moving to AWS and we will put everything there and manage it as a framework going forward.

I'm not using it day in, day out and I did not handle the initial setup. There is a team involved with that side of the product. I'm using it for the closing of the accounting cycle every month. I don't handle implementation tasks.

I cannot speak to the pricing. I don't handle billing or payments.

What other advice do I have?

We're customers and end-users.

While I cannot speak to the exact version number, my understanding is that we are using the most up-to-date version of the solution.

I'd advise those considering the solution to go for AWS products. They are the best. You will have more synergy between your software. It's nice not having multi-software working on the technology itself. If you can, use as many genuine Amazon products as possible and integrate them together.

Overall, I would rate the product at a seven out of ten.

More Amazon Redshift reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Snowflake
Learn what your peers think about Amazon Redshift. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.