Amazon S3 Review

Cloud storage that is easy to setup and does what you need it to do

What is our primary use case?

We haven't released the Amazon S3 platform in a production environment. It's more for prototyping and POC so far.

Normally we use it for the data dump. It's something similar to a data lake wherein we use it to obtain the data.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the storage.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see translations or description context for the options.

It is difficult for me as a consultant to explain the science, or the configuration processes, or why I am using this much power or the size to the customer. It takes some effort to describe how you got to that sizing.

We have some problems with connectivity. In my country, most of the issues we have are with stable connections rather than stable platforms.

In the next release, I think that it would be good to have wizards that would update into specific applications, for example, a one-touch configuration in Pagemaker. It would mean that you don't need to activate S3, and then have to do a configuration on the page. You would want a single wizard that would do all of the necessary applications.

Normally I work with on-premise solutions, then I started using Amazon S3 just over a year ago.

This solution is stable and I haven't had any issues with it slowing down.

There are many options, but there will be a learning curve to appropriately size one for a specific use case.

We have teams divided into application, web design, web technology, and cloud applications.

I haven't been in a situation where I have needed to contact technical support.

The initial setup is straightforward.

Sharing with other things that I have been doing, I was able to deploy this solution in one afternoon.

Azure is another solution that we were thinking of applying.

We have heard of Google Apps, but we haven't tried that solution.

What other advice do I have?

You have to know specifically what it is being used for.

One of the issues we face is that it is a developer's environment.

In our country, the Philippines, people are often forced upon with brands such as Microsoft, Zadara, and even Oracle.

Azure is something that is explored by developers. The onus is with the formal organization to get the people back in.

I would rate this solution a fair eight out of ten. It does what I need it to do, but it is a developer's tool. It's not something that I have heard many people harp about.

More Amazon S3 reviews from users
...who compared it with Google Cloud Storage
Learn what your peers think about Amazon S3. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.