Amazon SageMaker Review

Straightforward setup, scalable, and the technical support is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider that is concentrating on migrating our customers from on-premises to the cloud, and Amazon SageMaker is one of the products that we implement for our customers.

SageMaker is an AI platform, and I have been working on creating a solution that uses SageMaker and DeepLens to recognize people for access control. It will automatically log people who are coming and leaving. The second use case that we are working on is a system that recognizes cars by reading license plates and then opening a gate automatically to let them into the parking area.

AI, in general, has not yet been heavily used in this region so I am working on three or four use cases.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of Amazon SageMaker is that you don't have to do any programming in order to perform some of your use cases. As it is, we can start to use it directly.

What needs improvement?

AI is a new area and AWS needs to have an internship training program available. This is one place where I see this solution lagging. There is high-level training available, but when you consider that people have been working with Windows, Linux, and various applications for the past 20 years, they know those products inside and out. SageMaker, on the other hand, is a completely new tool. It can be very hard to digest.

AWS needs to provide more use cases for SageMaker. There are some, but not enough. They should collect or create more use cases and then distribute them free of charge to the customers.

I would like to see a more graphical, low-code interface that can be used to customize SageMaker.

We have just begun to provide services using SageMaker.

This solution is completely scalable.

I have been in contact with Amazon technical support in the past, but not for SageMaker. I have between 50 and 70 customers and I have worked with Amazon support on multiple cases. I am quite happy with it. It is not expensive and the service is great.

The value you get for paying from Amazon support is great. They are ready to work with me to resolve my issues.

The initial setup is straightforward. People with level-one training can start using it.

It usually takes about one hour to deploy, although the length of time and the number of people required are dependent on the complexity of the use cases and the environment.

The business support costs 10% of the Amazon utility spend

What other advice do I have?

Myself and certain people in my team have just begun the training. There is an eight-hour training video to assist with learning how to use this solution.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More Amazon SageMaker reviews from users
...who compared it with Anaconda
Learn what your peers think about Amazon SageMaker. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,299 professionals have used our research since 2012.