Amazon WorkSpaces Review

Reliable, flexible, easy to use, and allows me to work from anywhere

What is our primary use case?

I use it as my laptop. It's my virtual machine. I use it for everything I do at work, including using it for managing the systems and the servers.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the mobility. I can use it anywhere.

If I don't have my regular laptop, I can use my resources on it anywhere I go. Also, the flexibility is very good.

What needs improvement?

The speed and performance are not always the greatest. It can be improved.

Video and audio conferencing are areas that need to be improved.

When you're using it on a laptop for conferencing, you need to enhance the video. This is because you cannot do video conferencing on an Amazon WorkSpace. Rather, you're on a different laptop and dialing into it.

Overall performance and video conferencing platforms, whether it's WebEx, Teams, or Skype, all need improvement.

I have been using Amazon Workspaces for three years.

The stability is good with Amazon Workspaces.

It's a scalable solution. My understanding is that it is basically the price of the machine.

We are limited to the cost.

We have approximately 600 to 800 users in our organization with most being IT, some are business partners but most are centric to technology people.

It's not in my realm of responsibilities. My counterpart or partner team take care of it.

Previously, we used Citrix Managed Desktops for a very limited about of time.

Citrix was the most user-friendly and there were too many issues.

The initial setup is straightforward.

We have a team of three, four max, to maintain this solution.

There are several different options available, but it can range anywhere from $85 to $150 a month per machine.

The cost is based on the capacity and the resources of the machine itself.

What other advice do I have?

I recommend it. Definitely.

It's a very flexible solution, scalable, and easy to use.

You can use it from any device, whether you have an iPad, or if you have a laptop, a Mac, or if you have Windows. You can use it on every platform that supports Google Chrome.

I would rate this solution an eight out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)