Ansible Review

What is our primary use case?

We just started using Community with Ansible. We are trying to install agents to either a cloud or a local virtual machine. We are still in the starting phase as it has only been implemented for two months.

How has it helped my organization?

My team thinks it is easy to work with, especially when working with the nodes. When the nodes increase, from say five to 15, I don't have to do anything extra.

What is most valuable?

1. There are so many models that I don't have to create one. I don't have to worry about anything. In these two months, everything was easily available.
  2. Since it is in YAML, if I have to explain it to somebody else, they can easily understand it.

What needs improvement?

One problem that I'm facing right now is the mismatch between the new version of Python and Ansible. Sometimes it's Python 2, and sometimes it's Python 3. When things get a bit dicey, I wish that Ansible would solve this issue by itself. I don't want to have to specify if it is Python 3 or version 2.

Less than one year.

I haven't had any issues, but I have only been working with it for two months.

It is scalable enough for our needs. We are not working with hundreds of nodes, just ten to 15.

The community is enough for me.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward.

I researched with other tools, but I still chose Ansible. One reason, it was agentless. With other tools, I had to install agents. Ansible has a big plus factor being agentless.