Apache

Apache ActiveMQ Review
Scalability is good as it has the concept of a "network of brokers", so there are no different queue names for distributed queues or physical queues.

Valuable Features:

Scalability is good as it has the concept of a "network of brokers", so there are no different queue names for distributed queues or physical queues.

The network of brokers scales by need but the queue name stays the same, hence the client does not need to worry about queue name change.

Improvements to My Organization:

• It is cost effective and is a much cheaper solution compared to Weblogic or IBM MQ.
  • It has good performance in general use cases and is reliable.
  • It is easy to implement, especially in an MVP project for PoC.
  • It is easy to configure a composite queue for message forwarding.

Room for Improvement:

We have had problems with the message selector as when the queue size reaches a certain level, the message selector does not have enough time to run and finish before the JMS reply timeout. In this case the client will not consume the JMS reply message even when the correlation ID matches.

Try not to use the hawt.io feature but use the AMQ console which is much better. If you have to use hawt.io , you may need to configure Jolokia, which is the JMX layer of hawt.io, to display queues properly if you have a lot of queues.

Use of Solution:

I have been using the solution for about four years now.

Stability Issues:

I have not experienced any unstable situations.

Scalability Issues:

I have not encountered any scalability issues.

I have no experience with the technical support.

Previous Solutions:

I have used Weblogic MQ and IBM MQ before, and I switched to AMQ because we wanted to have a cheaper, faster and easier solution for messages.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup was very straightforward. Just follow the manual and there will be no issues.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I have no experience in enterprise pricing and licensing.

Other Solutions Considered:

I have evaluated Rabbit MQ, which is the fastest solution, but AMQ has more features and better support.

Other Advice:

• Try not to use the temp queue.
  • Pay attention to message selectors and queue size.
  • Pay attention to queue names as if you use a wrong queue name, AMQ won't report the error but it will create a new queue for you which is sometimes hard to investigate.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Apache ActiveMQ?

Our experts can help. 209,588 professionals have used our research on 5,564 solutions.