Apache

Apache ActiveMQ Review
It is useful for apps that have a lot of messages.

Valuable Features:

The database and message queuing are valuable features. It is useful for apps that have a lot of messages as well.

Improvements to My Organization:

Thanks to ActiveMQ, we have managed to set up an IoT application.

Room for Improvement:

There is need for more protocols and maybe they should provide documentation on the internet as well.

During my summer internship, I developed a IoT application (a proof of concept). We had some Texas Instruments CC2650 sensors emitting to MQTT. For the first time, we wanted them to AMQP protocol with RabbitMQ, but the MQQT QoS 2 on RabbitMQ was a big problem. Thus, we switched to ActiveMQ. Unfortunately, we had to stay in MQTT, as ActiveMQ can’t translate protocols like RabbitMQ.

In the end, we used the ActiveMQ broker to get the messages from our sensors (using the Java Library by Hiram Chirino, mqtt-client), then we parsed the messages from the sensors and stored them in Apache Hbase. With all of this data, we made some statistics, graphs and various other useful stuff for the industrials.

About the documentation, it is more about the ActiveMQ advanced concepts such as using the KahaDB etc. For the protocols, maybe a translator is needed for example integration of AMQP to MQTT or XMPP to CoAP.

Use of Solution:

I have used this solution during a summer internship last summer.

Stability Issues:

We have not yet encountered any stability issues.

Scalability Issues:

We have not yet encountered any scalability issues. Currently, we are receiving 1000 messages per second (on an average).

We have not used the technical support.

Previous Solutions:

Previously, we were using RabbitMQ, but it didn’t support MQTT QoS 2.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It is a good, free and safe product.

Other Solutions Considered:

We have tried Apache Apollo and RabbitMQ.

Other Advice:

Make sure your queues and topics are correctly named as it can quickly become a mess.

Overall, it is a good product but lacks some documentation.

0 Comments