Apache

Apache ActiveMQ Review
Delivers work to backend worker services that run tasks with variable run times. We ran into various stability problems with our implementations.

Valuable Features:

The valuable features are:

• Message queues
  • Camel routes
  • High availability
  • Serialization of batch jobs
  • Consumer/worker throttling
  • Message durability

Improvements to My Organization:

We use ActiveMQ primarily to deliver work to backend worker services that run tasks with extremely variable run times.

Use of Solution:

I supported and used ActiveMQ from 2010-2016.

Stability Issues:

We ran into various stability problems with our implementations over the years. We also ran into a few problems related to bugs.

One of the bugs was a memory leak from the KahaDB log files. As uptime accumulated, it eventually triggered one of the artificial limitations on the disk space used by KahaDB.

Scalability Issues:

There have been no issues with scalability, but we had a pretty low message throughput.

Initial Setup:

The installation was pretty straightforward. It was also easy setting up HA using an NFS share for hosting the KahaDB.

Other Advice:

Use the right tool for the job. Evaluate your needs carefully. Ensure that you do adequate performance, load, and failure mode testing prior to introducing the solution to production.

0 Comments