Apache

Apache ActiveMQ Review
I used it to implement a micro-services based architecture.

Valuable Features:

The most important feature is that it's best for JVM-related languages and JMS integration.

The product is really straightforward. All the operations that you use are pretty simple and worked fine.

The deal is to write the correct logic.

Improvements to My Organization:

Most architecture nowadays requires too much performance. We can use products like ActiveMQ to improve our architecture.

I implemented a micro-services based architecture and did some of the communication via queues. I used actors with the Akka framework, and not only threads in Java.

Room for Improvement:

• Message Management: Better management of the messages. Perhaps persist them, or put in another queue with another life cycle.
  • To clarify, it needs some queues in memory with the same abstract logic that ActiveMQ provides. An interesting example could be the embedded Redis framework, or the Derby database for integration tests.
  • Testing: I did not find a correct way to test the integration using Java, but rather only with manual testing.

Use of Solution:

I worked for a year and a half with this product, during all of its lifecycle.

Stability Issues:

We did not encounter any stability issues.

Scalability Issues:

There were no scalability issues. With a good strategy, we can scale onto large systems using ActiveMQ.

I would give technical support a rating of 10/10. Despite the doubts that I encountered during the development, I could get the answer in the documentation.

Initial Setup:

The initial setup is very easy. You don't need to install anything. Just run the start command or put the URL in the browser.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

I think the software is free.

Other Solutions Considered:

We evaluated Apache Kafka and also RabbitMQ. The choice was about the better integration with JMS.

Other Advice:

I fully recommend this product, but you need to have some expertise working with JMS and asynchronous tasks. You also need a correct strategy, or at least think about one.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Apache ActiveMQ?

Our experts can help. 209,588 professionals have used our research on 5,564 solutions.