Apache Hadoop Review

The heart of BigData

What is most valuable?

• Storage
  • Processing (cost efficient)

How has it helped my organization?

With the increase in data size for the business, this horizontal scalable appliance has answered every business question in terms of storage and processing. Hadoop ecosystem has not only provided a reliable distributed aggregation system but has also allowed room for analytics which has resulted in great data insights.

What needs improvement?

The Apache team is doing great job and releasing Hadoop versions much ahead of what we can think about. Every room for improvement is fixed as soon as a version is released by ASF. Currently, Apache Oozie 4.0.1 has some compatibility issues with Hadoop 2.5.2.

2.5 years

Not at all.

We did when we started initially with Hadoop 1.x, which did’t have HA, but now we don’t have any stability issue.

Hadoop is known for its scalability. Yahoo stores approx. 455 PB in their Hadoop cluster.

It depends on the Hadoop distributor. I would rate Hortonworks 9/10.

I would rate Hortonworks 9/10.

We previously used Netezza. We switched because our business required a highly scalable appliance like Hadoop.

It's a bit complex in terms of build around for commodities, but soon it will ease up as the product matures.

We used a vendor team who were 9/10.

Valuable storage and processing with a lower cost than previously.

Best in pricing and licensing depends on the flavors, but remember it is only good if you have very large data set which cannot be handled by traditional RDBMS.

Cloud options.

What other advice do I have?

First, understand your business requirement; second, evaluate the traditional RDBMS scalability and capability, and finally, if you have reached to the tip of an iceberg (RDBMS) then yes, you definitely need an island (Hadoop) for your business. Feasibility checks are important and efficient for any business before you can take any crucial step. I would also say “Don’t always flow with stream of a river because some time it will lead you to a waterfall, so always research and analyze before you take a ride.”

1 visitor found this review helpful