Apache Hadoop Review

An inexpensive and flexible suite that helps users integrate varied legacy systems

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use this product to integrate legacy systems.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us work with older products and more easily create solutions.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable thing about this program for us is that it is very powerful and very cheap. We're using a lot of the program's modules and features because we're using software and hardware that can be difficult to integrate. For example, we're using supersets and a lot of old products from difficult systems. We love having the various options and features that allow us to work with flexibility.

What needs improvement?

We are using HDTM circuit boards, and I worry about the future of this product and compatibility with future releases. It's a concern because, for now, we do not have a clear path to upgrade. The Hadoop product is in version three and we'd like to upgrade to the third version. But as far as I know, it's not a simple thing.

There are a lot of features in this product that are open-source. If something isn't included with the distribution we are not limited. We can take things from the internet and integrate them. As far as I know, we are using Presto which isn't included in HDP (Hortonworks Data Platform) and it works fine. Not everything has to be included in the release. If something is outside of HDP and it works, that is good enough for me. We have the flexibility to incorporate it ourselves.

We have been using the product for about five years.

The product is well tested and very stable. We have no problems with the stability of it at all. Really we just install it and forget about fussing with it. We just use the features it offers to be productive.

This is a scalable solution and we like what it does. It is currently serving about 100 users at our organization and it seems like it can handle more easily.

We actually have not used technical support. Everything we needed a solution for we just use Google and it's enough for us. Sometimes we do have issues, but not often. The issues are mainly to do with the terminals because it's a bit complicated to integrate these other systems. We have managed to solve all the problems up till now.

We had a very old version of Hadoop which was already installed by another company and we upgraded it. We didn't really switch we just upgraded what was here.

The initial setup wasn't very easy because of the incredible security, but we have managed to get by that. It's sort of simple, in my opinion, once you get past that part. I think, in all, it took about half of a year. But it wasn't a new deployment, it's an upgrade and the bigger challenge was moving the data. We pretty much just supported the existing product and moved to HDP.

We have everything on-premises and we did the deployment and maintenance.
It took four people. We want to increase usage of Hadoop and we are thinking about it very heavily. We're actually in the process of doing it. At the same time, we are integrating things from other systems to Hadoop.

What other advice do I have?

I would give this product a rating of eight out of ten. It would not be a ten out of ten because of some problems we are having with the upgrade to the newer version. It would have been better for us if these problems were not holding us back. I think eight is good enough.