Apache JMeter Review

A stable solution with a lot of connectors and easy setup

What is our primary use case?

We are using Apache JMeter for profiling and stress testing the application. It is a part of our delivery architecture to stress test the application. It is a part of the build chain. It is not just something that we use internally to verify what we are going to use or going to do.

In terms of a specific use case, we are using Apache JMeter to simulate user engagement. Our software is about customer engagement, and we use JMeter to simulate the customers and engage them on our platform as aggressively as we can.

What is most valuable?

The features that I appreciate are quite basic. It is easy to ramp up the threads and start calling the application. A lot of connectors can already be found within Apache JMeter, but we are not using the entire set because the integration between the customers and platform is based on HTTP. We are just going to produce lots of HTTP sequences.

What needs improvement?

Currently, the integration pipeline is implemented by using Jenkins or a similar tool platform. These are continuous integration tools. As far as I know, integration is done by using custom scripts. It would be good if the integration with a continuous integration pipeline, like Jenkins or Hudson, can be done out of the box without using a script.

I have about two years of experience with JMeter. I started to use it two years ago with a new job.

It, for sure, is stable. Apache JMeter is a consolidated tool that has survived for several years.

It is mainly used by automation tools. These automation tools are around whenever needed. We have about 70 people, and this is a spot adoption.

I have never tried Apache support.

The initial setup is quite easy because this is just a compressed archive. There is no real installation of the tool. You just need to extract it to integrate with Jenkins Pipelines and automatic tools by using the command-line calls. After you expand the archive, you have to adjust Apache JMeter to its proper configuration, which is not a big issue.

In terms of open-source adoption, it is completely free.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution.

I would rate Apache JMeter a ten out of ten. I don't have anything else to compare it with, and I don't know if a competitor can achieve better.

More Apache JMeter reviews from users
...who compared it with Neotys NeoLoad
Learn what your peers think about Apache JMeter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: January 2021.
457,748 professionals have used our research since 2012.