Apache JMeter Review

Scalable and stable, easy to use, can be automated, and has good community support

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache  JMeter for API testing. Our latest task combines test cases with our CI/CD pipeline for deployment to Kubernetes. Tests are developed locally and automated for the build using standard Unit and Integration testing techniques. Once deployment is successful to Kubernetes, we develop the JMeter tests for automation in promotion scenarios. Thereafter, once a deployment is successful, we can automate promotion to the next level based on test success.

How has it helped my organization?

Test automation moves our organization close to rapidly deploying products. Unit and Integration testing is easy to automate, and most organizations perform these as part of their day-to-day operations. However, end-to-end testing, smoke testing, load testing, and performance testing are much harder to automate. Apache JMeter has aided in that challenge.

What is most valuable?

While there is a User Interface, the scripting ability is highly beneficial and is easy to use. Tests can be added to a CI/CD Pipeline for integration with testing and deployment scenarios once finalized and operational.

What needs improvement?

This is a difficult question to answer. On one side, JMeter is very flexible and allows for a high amount of customization. On the other, some tasks are common enough that it merits simplifying the process.

Authentication for API testing could use improvement. Currently, it is a multi-step process to call, extract, and utilize a bearer token securely for API calls. This process is becoming a common enough task that a "wizard" for creating and consuming popular authentication models is merited.

I have been using this solution for about six years.

Apache JMeter is stable, and I personally have not encountered any issues. Depending on the size of test runs, one might need to adjust their JAVA settings to align with the test requirements.

Its scalability works. It is a typically Java run. Therefore, it is limited only by what you can do in Java in terms of scalability.

Developers write tests, verify tests, and maintain tests using version control. They identify and tag each to ensure they are appropriately labeled for test purposes (E.g., unit testing, integration testing, performance testing, and the like). Unit and Integration test coverage is normally high. However, we require testing from outside of the system, and JMeter allows us to create tests automating this process.

Apache JMeter utilizes community support. It is well-documented and has an active community. As far as I know, there is not a "pay-for-support" option.

I have used Postman in collaboration with other developers. However, I prefer Jmeter only out of personal familiarity and not for any technical deficiencies of Postman.

Apache JMeter setup is easy. However, there is a medium-to-heavy learning curve for developing tests and getting started using it for practical uses. Depending on its intended uses, there could be a significant configuration task for a given set of tests.

Apache JMeter is under Apache License, Version 2.0 licensing. Understanding licensing requirements is important for the implementation of any tool.

What other advice do I have?

Understand the use case. Choosing the correct tool for any task is always a challenge. Jmeter offers a significant amount of flexibility and will work for a lot of solutions. Jmeter requires a commitment to learning for optimal operation; without that investment, tests may not yield the appropriate outcomes.

5.4.1
More Apache JMeter reviews from users
...who compared it with Neotys NeoLoad
Learn what your peers think about Apache JMeter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.