Apache JMeter Review

It can record, run, and create reports, but it hangs up on large loads.

Valuable Features:

I like the ease of using JMeter. It can be downloaded and can be used to record and run load tests. JMeter can record, run and create reports easily without the need to have licenses, complex installations and paid support. It can be used to performance test services, web applications, database queries, LDAP, etc.

Improvements to My Organization:

We use JMeter for performance testing. We are able to know which module is lagging behind in performance, whether the software or hardware upgrades have improved the performance or not.

Room for Improvement:

I think JMeter hangs up on large loads. I have seen JMeter becoming unresponsive in the middle of a test. It is because of garbage collection in JMeter. We use best practices to mute all listeners, use non GUI mode, etc., but even with many best practices JMeter pauses in between load tests.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

It is a open source tool.

Other Advice:

My advice would be to have load generator machines. Do not run JMeter (or any load testing tool) from a desktop. Do not have just one JMeter installation to generate load. Use several JMeter instances to distribute load. If possible, use JMeter in Client Server mode.

3 visitors found this review helpful
1 Comment
pmouawadVendor

Hello Rahul,
If in 2017 using JMeter 3.1 you still experience "hangs up on large loads." as you wrote here then it would be really nice to report this issue to JMeter team:
- http://jmeter.apache.org/issues.html

From my experience with it, I am able since JMeter 2.11 at least to load test with a single JVM on a 8 Core machine with 6g of memory to load test without any issue up to 2000/2500 Threads with a correctly developed test plan. And whenever I switch to distributed load testing run load test on big E-Commerce website with Millions of users per day.

So I am very interested to know what kind of issue you face so that we can either help you to fix your test plan or fix the issue in JMeter if it is there.

Philippe M. from Apache JMeter Team and big user of Apache JMeter