Apache JMeter Review

Script-generation is helpful for people with little programming knowledge

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for it is testing websites: load testing and performance testing.

What is most valuable?

JMeter is very easy for a user who doesn't have too much programming knowledge, as scripting is not mandatory nor essential to create the testing scenarios. This means the user doesn't need to know how to write code to run a complete set of load tests. Although, If you're an advanced user, JMeter does gives the possibility of using BeanShell, Groovy or Java to script your tests.

JMeter has a very friendly and intuitive User Interface which allows users to configure the scenarios reusing components already defined, which you can also modify to fit the requirements of the tests.

One very important feature of JMeter is that it is open source and it can be easily extended through a huge set of available plugins.

What needs improvement?

Considering the kinds of tests we are performing here, where we launch several tests at the same time as a batch request, JMeter is not the best tool for the job. Those kinds of things could be done easily with other tools, like k6. It would be simpler that way. JMeter is a very old tool. It has been around for about 15 years. While it has been improved over the last few years, it is a little complicated to run several tests at the same time with different sites.

JMeter could be easier. It would be a great improvement if it was easier to integrate with the CI deployments, with tools like Jenkins or CircleCI.

Our teams have been using it for about five years.

It is a very stable tool.

In my opinion, it is not scalable. We haven't found an easy way to do that.

We would like to increase our usage but we are trying to figure out the best way to integrate it with our new circuit. Our plan is to use a tool like this with customers. That is the reason we are evaluating the pros and cons of different tools. We want to incorporate these tools into our web development process, mainly in our CI/CD process. We are trying to figure out how to use tools that are designed to empower developers.

We have used LoadUI and SmartBear with tools like Selenium. Some of the developers, at that time, were used to JMeter and they introduced it. It is a very nice tool.

The initial setup is simple. It is not a hard tool to use. It has a very nice UI and the end-users are very comfortable using the tool. People deploy it themselves.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend JMeter. It is a very nice tool. It is easy to use and there are several components already developed in the tool that you can use to simplify the process of defining and redefining scripts. But I would like it to be more flexible and integrate with other tools.