Apache JMeter Review

Good performance testing and reporting, helpful user community, but it hangs with too many concurrent threads

What is our primary use case?

We use Apache JMeter for lower-end performance testing. Sometimes we use it for Rest API testing, as well.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution allows us to have a detailed look at performance using different metrics. We can look at the deviation and the median values and see how it is performing. We can also analyze our servers and see how they are performing in terms of CPU and how much memory is allocated.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature in JMeter is the Thread Group, which helps us to see whether the performance is good.

The plugin for git allows us to scan files directly from the GitHub site.

The reporting is good and there are a lot of different formats available.

If you want to see the data that is associated with a response then you can download it in JSON format.

There is a large user community that can help you to learn and use JMeter.

What needs improvement?

When we are testing with too many threads then the solution hangs.

JMeter does not support JavaScript.

Automation is difficult in JMeter.

We have been using JMeter for the past two years.

Stability becomes an issue if we use more than 10 or 20 threads.

We have not been in contact with Apache technical support.

There is a large user community and if you need help then you can get instant help from them.

We also use Postman and when it comes to making a very large request, it is the better option. It is also a user-friendly solution and you do not have to go through a lot of documents to start using it.

JMeter works better for iterative testing.

It is easy to set up and administer JMeter.

This is an open-source product.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good solution but many features would have to be added to use this tool alone. Postman has more features, so JMeter is really only good for performance testing.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.

More Apache JMeter reviews from users