Apache JMeter Review

Good reports and analysis capabilities with a quick initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution to manage our capabilities. Wherever the business goes, we need to work within the expected benchmark. In terms of the user bases we deal with, most of these are products from different locations with different types of functional flow-out. There are environmental integrations also running in the background, which a user is basically accessing while going through a particular workflow.

We'll also handle the reporting section of our data management responsibilities utilizing this system.

What is most valuable?

The reports and analysis tools are very good. They are the solution's most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

The GUI could be improved. When we go into GUI mode, there are occasions where it will not sync with our expectations. There are crashes that happen that will stop the solution from performing. It seems we get minor glitches when we go into GUI mode.

The data client architecture that we have isn't so great. If we are to consume the data, it won't clear because there is tech running on different agents.

When I need to pull the reports from different agents, it's not user-friendly. The reporting can be difficult to handle. It's hard to increase it if you are working on a client's architecture.

It's not easy to get the data from one place or to do customizations.

There are other solutions that allow users to model their load and structure with them. You can't do that on JMeter.

On other solutions, like Silk Performer, you can do network packeting, which you can't do on JMeter. They should add this to the solution as a capability in the future.

The support management needs improvement. Support is coming from consultants; you will not be able to get on-premise support from all of their agents in one place. On Silk Performer, for example,  they have the capability where you can basically have a summarized report from different agents.

Personally I've been using the solution for the last 10 years. However, in the program we are in, I've only been using this tool for six months.

If you want stability, you will have trouble, because the system is not uniform. You have to do a lot of modeling.

If you're talking about mobile platforms, JMeter will not allow you to capture the performance of applications on your mobile platform. It's an area where the solution is lacking. It doesn't have the capability to allow developers to check the performance on an AP app.

You can scale the solution, but you will run into issues if you want to run, say, 1,000 users.  You will have to configure multiple agents and then distribute your load. It's quite difficult to manage everything on a single agent.

The initial setup is straightforward. We found it quite easy. For us, it wasn't complex at all. The solution is up and running quite quickly and doesn't take long at all to set up and deploy.

We've looked at Silk Impact and Load Balancer in the past. Each of these solutions offers a few different functionalities that aren't necessarily available on JMeter. For example, on both, there are more network features available that aren't included in JMeter and you can model your load and structure with them as well.

What other advice do I have?

If companies have mobile development, they should use JMeter. If they want to integrate it with the PA pipeline, JMeter will work well. However, there are other platforms and solutions as well.

Other options include Silk Performer and Load Impact. These two solutions have other capabilities that JMeter doesn't have. You can basically model your load and structure with them. You can't do that on this solution. On Silk Performer, you can also do network packeting, which you can't do on JMeter.

Then there are some network features available in Load Impact as well as Silk Performer that aren't in JMeter.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. The solution has certain limitations, but it's still a good product.

Microsoft Azure