Apache JMeter Review

Great community support, industry-standard, and works well

What is our primary use case?

I've used JMeter in conjunction with Selenium, Java, and Log4j for logging. I used it before
I ended that contract in August. Its version was up to date at that time.

It was used for an e-commerce site that is specialized in C-PAP or weaving machines in effect. Their max was a thousand people logged in at once. I, of course, pushed the boundaries on that, but it was to test the performance of the website, and of course, I'm had to try subsystems, database interactions, etc.

What is most valuable?

I'm a total geek, so I liked the fact that I got to program. The biggest thing I liked about it is that there is a huge user base out there, and being shareware and being Apache, if I have any question on how to get something done, I get 18 different answers. Out of those, there would be at least a few good approaches for what I was trying to do. So, the support system out there is most valuable.

What needs improvement?

I sometimes found the documentation to be not as explanatory as I would've liked it. In the cases that I can think of, I was looking for a rather hand-holding approach with Step A, B, and C, but then I realized that with a product that is open source like this, you can't do handholding. That is because there are so many different uses and different unique environments and setups for it, but I remember thinking a few times that if they only just said this.

If I were going to be Mr. Selfish and say anything I want, I'd say a full feature GUI that lets me drag and drop different modules in line. It could have a simple-to-use GUI.

I have been using this solution for probably a year and a half.

I didn't have any issues with the stability of JMeter itself. There were definitely issues with the program I was testing, but that's why I was testing it.

It was very easy to scale, but I was barely scratching the surface. I have spent 17 years at Microsoft, and for the performance testing that we did there, we had 8.3 million users at once, as opposed to a maximum of a thousand. If I'm scaling, I have to do it quite straightforward and simple, but it was very minimal.

Only I was using it. It was the QA department. I showed it to some of the devs, and they were very interested. A couple of them tried it, but none were actually using it day-to-day for testing out the environment.

I would rate them an eight out of 10 because sometimes, they would take two or three days to get back to me. Of course, at that point, you're like, "I need the answer; I need to answer." So, it was a little bit unrealistic in terms of expectations.

At that particular company, I was the one who was tasked with coming up with the solution, so that was the only one that I looked at simply because JMeter is industry standard, but at Microsoft, they wrote their own custom tools, so I used custom Microsoft tools.

It was rather complex. It is a complex product, but that part of it was very well-documented. I didn't have any problems with it.

What other advice do I have?

Don't be shy in asking questions. Google/Bing is your friend. It is complicated. There's no reason to spend eight hours trying to figure out something, except unless you are trying to learn in-depth. There are a lot of people who've done exactly what you're trying to do, and it doesn't matter what it is.

I would rate it a 10 out of 10 because it is industry standard. It did everything I could've asked. I barely scratched the surface, but what I needed it for, it did well and in a very straightforward-to-implement way.

More Apache JMeter reviews from users
...who compared it with Neotys NeoLoad
Learn what your peers think about Apache JMeter. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.