Apache

Apache Kafka Review
Topic-based eventing, scalability, and retention periods are valuable.

Valuable Features:

The most valuable features are topic-based eventing, scalability, and retention periods.

Improvements to My Organization:

My organization is transforming by using the new SOA/eventing-based architecture. The application depends on the employees’ information events. Kafka is very helpful in implementing this. It increases the performance and gives the details to multiple external/internal teams using Kafka topics in an asynchronous manner.

For example, if someone is moving from one office to another one, we have to update the software. While updating it, the system puts that event in a topic so that all other consumers can update that person’s new location. This can include the payroll team, the insurance team, and the hospital network.

The retention period helps us retain the data in the topic for the configured number of days. In this example, if any of the consumers fail to consume the message from the topic, then that message will be there until the retention period ends.

Room for Improvement:

I would like to see a more user-friendly GUI.

Use of Solution:

We have used this solution since December, 2015.

Stability Issues:

If you are using the same group ID for multiple topics, it may shut down the application. We have faced this issue before.

Scalability Issues:

We have not had any scalability issues.

I would give technical support a rating of 6 out of 10.

Previous Solutions:

We were using ActiveMQ, which is just a messaging system. We are changing because of Kafka’s added value of scalability, retention, and high payload support.

Initial Setup:

The installation was somewhat straightforward.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The solution is worth the money.

Other Advice:

This is the best tool I have ever used for asynchronous, event-based solutions.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About Apache Kafka?

Our experts can help. 209,588 professionals have used our research on 5,564 solutions.