Apache Kafka Review

Difficult to configure, lacking automation, but has good community support

What is our primary use case?

We are in the early stages of testing this solution in our lab as a demo. It is in development and we are not in production at this point.

We are using this solution to relay events when they happen to multiple receivers at once to allow better functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

Apache Kafka has helped our client's online restaurant company by allowing them to take any orders and send the notifications with some other details, such as logic commands, to the different microservices.

What is most valuable?

The valuable features are the group community and support.

What needs improvement?

The solution can improve by having automation for developers. We have done many manual calculations and it has been difficult but if it was automated it would be much better.

I have been using this solution for approximately three months.

The solution's scalability is important for our ability to have more throughput from multiple receivers. If we need more throughput it can deliver.

We did use other solutions previously but this solution makes things a lot easier.

The installation is fairly easy. Additionally, there is a cloud-based version available if a use case requires it.

We did the implementation ourselves.

The solution is free, it is open-source.

What other advice do I have?

There is a lot of configuration involved in this solution. We have found many configurations that have helped us but it would be beneficial if there was automation.

I rate Apache Kafka a five out of ten.

More Apache Kafka reviews from users
...who compared it with IBM MQ
Learn what your peers think about Apache Kafka. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,431 professionals have used our research since 2012.