Apache Kafka Review

Free to use, mature, and offers good scalability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for big data. We often get a million messages per second, and with such a high output we use Kafka to help us handle it.

What is most valuable?

When we're working with big data, we need a throughput computing panel, which is something that Kafka provides, and something we find extremely valuable. It helps us support computing and ensures there's no loss of data. It can even do replication with some data.

The delivery of data is it's most valuable aspect.

It's an easy to use product overall.

The solution is quite mature.

It's an open-source product, which means it doesn't cost us anything to use it.

What needs improvement?

We're still going through the solution. Right now, I can't suggest any features that might be missing. I don't see where there can be an improvement in that regard.

The speed isn't as fast as RabbitMQ, even though the solution touts itself as very quick. It could be faster. They should work to make it at least as fast as RabbitMQ.

The UI is based on command line. It would be helpful if they could come up with a simpler user interface.

They should make it easier to configure items on the solution.

The solution would benefit from the addition of better monitoring tools.

I've been using the solution for six months.

The solution is a bit slow in comparison to RabbitMQ. It's supposed to be a very fast solution, and it has okay performance, but speed-wise, it's quite slow.

The scaling of the solution is quite good.

In terms of technical support, we don't get that directly from Apache Kafka. We have certain cloud data distribution so we get assistance from our cloud data support.

We're continuously deploying the product. We're still in the process of deployment.

It's an open-source product, so the pricing isn't an issue. It's free to use. We don't have costs associated with it.

I'm not the product owner, so I didn't have a say in what should be chosen. We were seeing a high throughput with Kafka which is why we ultimately chose it.

What other advice do I have?

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten. It's good at scaling, and, performance-wise, it's excellent. If they could add upon the UI and allow for easier configuration, I'd rate them higher.

More Apache Kafka reviews from users