Apache NiFi Review

Reliable automated workflow that lets you build independently

What is our primary use case?

I use Apache NiFi to build workflows.

It's an event that is used for distributed messaging. You need to transfer the message that comes into Kafka Broker Topic.

You get the messages in the Kafka queue topic, you transform it and send it to other entities for storage, or you can return it back to Kafka to send to the consumer.

What is most valuable?

It's very handy.

I like building the independent flow.

It's an automated flow, where you can build a flow from source to destination, then do the transformation in between.

What needs improvement?

Integration with Kafka and different data formats would be helpful, not only in JSON but in Avro, which is the data platform that is in a universal format.

I think the UI interface needs to be more user-friendly. The UI portal needs a lot of improvement for people who have less experience.

I have been using this solution for a year.

It's very stable, but I have not used it in production. I have used it in development and QA and I have tested it on various platforms with Kafka distributed messaging.

I have not needed Apache support. With my seniority, I have not used anything that requires their support.

It's a good thing to be able to go back in the documentation and the information is enough to get you going.

Juniors or people who have less experience may have a lot of different questions, but I have not tested their support.

You have to install it on your platform using the Windows and Linux Operating System, or any Mac OS.

The Apache documentation is very straightforward. You can do it independently of any other guidance.

It's self-explanatory.

You can do it yourself without any hiccups, It's straightforward.

I am not involved in this area. I don't have any visibility in the costing and licensing.

We have a department that goes through the licensing and once we approve the functions and the performance of Apache NiFi, they deal with it.

What other advice do I have?

You have to independently develop a use case for using NiFi, then test it and do the integration to have a stable workflow. After this, you jump in and integrate with Kafka distributed messaging and also connecting to your MDM database.

I would rate Apache NiFi an eight out of ten.

More Apache NiFi reviews from users
...who compared it with Apache Spark
Find out what your peers are saying about Apache, Amazon, StackStorm and others in Compute Service. Updated: May 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.