Apigee Review

Highly available, easy to configure and use, and it includes disaster recovery

What is our primary use case?

We are a solution provider and this is one of the products that we implement for our clients. We also it it ourselves.

Our use case involves accessing functions on our backend systems through a portal used on mobile devices. The app on the mobile device uses the internet portal, and we have the API as a security layer to pass the functions through to the backend.

What is most valuable?

It is very easy to implement and the configuration of the API is very simple.

It is easy to upload a Swagger file and build an API.

The user interface for building APIs is very simple. Anyone with basic knowledge can build an API.

Disaster recovery capabilities are included.

What needs improvement?

Apigee is demanding on the infrastructure so the setup cost is very high for an on-premises deployment.

We have been working with Google Apigee for almost one year.

Apigee has high availability and we have not faced any problems in regards to stability.

We have not had to scale as of yet. Our license allows for 125 million messages and we have not yet reached that stage.

We have been in contact with technical support and we are fully satisfied. I would say that they go out of their way to support us. For a priority-one issue, Google commits to having it resolved within 24 hours.

There are also community blogs where you can find other people that are working with it. These are independent sources and people where we can get information about implementation as well as customization.

A new version is released every six months and if we don't upgrade in one and a half years, the old version will be deprecated or be out of support. For example, they recently upgraded the Edge UI. The old one was not integrating with Active Directory to allow for centralized control of users. However, the new one requires authentication from ADFS before implementing it, which was a feature that was previously lacking.

The entire set of documentation is available online. You can follow it step-by-step to install the application.

We have an in-house team that handles deployment and maintenance.

It is administered by two people and we have another person to handle the analytics.

The cost of the licensing is based on the number of API calls that are made. This is good because we don't pay for the number of nodes that we are installing. They also do not charge you for non-production transactions, which is extremely good.

Everything else is included as a package. For example, ZooKeeper, Cassandra, and PostgreSQL are part of the product, so we don't need to purchase any additional licenses apart from the OS.

We had evaluated Software AG at the same time as Apigee. The initial setup cost for an on-premises deployment of Software AG is less than that of Apigee. For example, if I require four cores to operate Apigee then it would be a two-core system for Software AG.

We chose Apigee because of its high availability and disaster recovery. Google Apigee uses ZooKeeper with an unstructured Cassandra database. This is different from Software AG, which uses a structured database like Oracle. Having to purchase Oracle licenses increases the cost.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is that it is has a very easy and intuitive GUI to build APIs, and I can also import Swagger files. It is built on a high availability model, so if anything goes down then another node will automatically take over. We can build an active-active across the DR site.

The primary site is active, the DR site is active, and they are synchronized. It is easy to build, customize, install, and implement.

The support is also extremely good. We get immediate responses and support is available every day of the week. Google commits on the resolution time for priority-one issues as 24 hours. No other software today can commit to resolution time. I have only seen such a service with Google Apigee.

Overall, I am satisfied with this product and it is aligned to all of my needs.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

More Apigee reviews from users