Apigee Review

Flexible, allows for fast user engagement, and the technical support is responsive

What is our primary use case?

We've got quite a large technology footprint and I'm looking after the integration of our banking platform with our payment systems.

What is most valuable?

The REST API allows for faster user engagement.

The flexibility allows you to quickly run a cloud-native application architecture.

What needs improvement?

The ability to work across different management solutions in a plug and play fashion would make it easier for faster uptake.

Pricing is an area that can be improved, as it is a little on the higher side. It is more expensive when you compare to open-source products or other vendors.

I think it would be helpful if Apigee had support for voice-activated activities, rather than having to type.

More intelligence in terms of being able to learn from previous activities would be a good addition in the future.

I have been using Apigee for about two years.

Apigee is used on a daily basis in our payment systems.

It has performed relatively well from a scalability perspective.

We have about 15 users in the company. They are a mixture of engineers, architects, and administrators, with the majority being architects.

In cases where we have a problem and need support, we have an agreement in place with the vendor to help us navigate through it. They are good and respond to our issues quickly.

Apigee was our first choice for this type of product.

The initial setup is of medium complexity. End-to-end, we took about a week to get everything ready. This included the account, the proxies, the target endpoints, etc.

We received assistance from the vendor for our implementation.

Our in-house team is responsible for routine maintenance. This includes backup support, uptime support, patching, applying of certificates, etc. It is an ongoing activity and we also work with the business to continuously improve the integration, so that they are getting the value of the capability of Apigee.

My understanding is that there are costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering Apigee is to first do research and an analysis of what they want to use it for, including specific use cases. It is a good tool but it is important to have well-defined requirements to avoid a high implementation cost and rework.

The requirements have to be very well documented and understood by all parties, especially those who will be involved in implementing it. Following this approach is an important step to getting a good return on investment.

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
More Apigee reviews from users