Apigee Review

Lightweight and stable this solution offers a strong gateway solution

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we do the Apigee implementations for the customer. We are more like a service company. We sell the product and consult with the clients about their needs. There are options for the API gateways and we look at the client's requirements, their budgeting, and then we deliver and install the new solution.

What is most valuable?

Apigee makes it nice and easy for the clients and those using the product to access the product's help resources.

What needs improvement?

It would help with Apigee if we could make a list of our assets. If the client knows more about all the extensions they can use to work with through the Google cloud and we have an extensions database it would be easier to let them know what is available and we could do more to recommend Apigee for all different kinds of customer needs.

I have been working with Apigee at this company for the past three years.

The stability of the product is not an issue.

We have not had any issues with the product scalability.

We are actually partners with Google, so we get the best support from them.

I did have some previous experience with other products in this category before Apigee, like MuleSoft. The main differences between Apigee and MuleSoft are that Apigee is more lightweight and the licensing is also lesser than the MuleSoft. Based on the use case of big clients, the ones who want more services can get them and because the Apigee solution is more lightweight it offers more possibilities for them to use API solutions.

With Apigee you can bring in some adapters to work with things like business rule engines. So those might create more standardization and help make the investment in Apigee more valuable.

I tried to do the initial installation and setup a couple of times. It is straight forward and easy. It is just done by calling a couple of CMA (Connection Manager Agent) commands and you can get it up and running.

What other advice do I have?

What I would recommend for clients who are considering this type of solution depends on the customer's use cases. Since we are Google partners we generally go with Apigee as the solution. But if the client insists that there has to be a lot of orchestration and other integrations need to be done, then we will go with MuleSoft.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Apigee as somewhere around an eight.

Hybrid Cloud