Apigee Review

Flexible API management and analytics that can be built out to fit varied needs

What is our primary use case?

It is a Google cloud solution for API management and analytics.

What is most valuable?

I have not had the opportunity to completely explore the product's capabilities in the time that we have been using it. But I can say that the customization is really vast and it is a really good feature built into the product. I can customize different authentication methods and methods for authorization. I can also use redaction. So security is flexible to our needs and it works well.

What needs improvement?

It is a user-friendly solution, but it would help if Google could provide a container-based solution instead of just a standalone one. With a container-based deployment and support for Terraform, it would be better for our deployments and that would be great. Right now we have to configure different areas manually. Some areas can be automated, but the deployments are not as fully automated as they could be otherwise.

so, they currently have a software as a service offering or a standalone offering. I want to see something like a hybrid cloud deployment. I also want to see a private cloud deployment.

We are still building out the environment. We are running four environments until we accept that it is fully tested. So we are not live yet and we will really go live and into production sometime in the first quarter of next year. But we have been using Apigee within the last 12 months for testing purposes.

The scalability of the product is good. Our use case is right now is applied in only one environment. When we are about to go to production, we will probably do high-availability testing with a dual environment so we can come up with any potential scalability issues. But for now, we have not really touched that area in our testing.

We do have a lot of people using Apigee already. This is the primary gateway for us to talk to external applications. I would say that services around 800- 900 applications which are using the gateways. That is also involving many teams and end-users who access those applications.

My recommendation for installations is that the product installation, set up and delivery process could be improved. It is straightforward in the initial steps. The part which is automated by Google is very straightforward. The remaining part, we have to do manually. The remaining components have to be manually configured. If Google were to do a container offering of this solution, then adopting it would be seamless because everything would be able to be automated.

I would say that it currently takes too long to set up and deploy and that it is not as short a time to complete the process as it should be. It is more mediocre, somewhere in the middle, and has moderate difficulty instead of being seamless and simple.

We did not have to use an integrator, reseller, or a consultant for deployment. It was all done in house by our own teams.

We tried Axway API gateway and we also tried MuleSoft. We found that these solutions did not fit our scenario as well as Apigee because our scenario is a very special scenario where we want to keep everything that we already have on board. In our current situation, we have big AWS (Amazon Web Services) accounts and a big AWS footprint. So we want to also be able to use AWS for Apigee hosting. That is where our environment and needs become a little bit of a custom scenario. Apigee works for us in this scenario and that is why we ultimately went with Apigee over other products.

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this product over any other products available in the market in this category. It has all the features necessary to work in anything from a basic scenario to advanced applications. So I find that everything in it is flexible and available in this one product. Because of that I highly recommend it to anyone.

On a scale of one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate Apigee around an eight out-of-ten.

Hybrid Cloud
More Apigee reviews from users
...who compared it with Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,468 professionals have used our research since 2012.