Apigee Review

An API management tool with a good rate-limiting policy feature, but documentation could be better

What is our primary use case?

We are working on some client POC where we have all the workloads deployed on Google Cloud. We wanted a gateway that was more like an API Management tool. We wanted to manage all our APIs centrally in one place. For example, we can route the traffic. We can limit, we can perform throttling, we can have the security checks like the authentication mechanism implemented centrally. We can also have a reverse proxy to our service endpoint.

What is most valuable?

I like implementing different policies, for example, rate-limiting policy. We can create a custom rate-limiting policy, and we can have an application-specific rate-limiting policy. That's what we're implementing or using, and I like that feature.

What needs improvement?

More documentation on the Open Banking Standard will help. For example, WSO2 supports the Open Banking API, but I can't find relevant documentation from Apigee. I'm not sure whether Apigee even supports the Open Banking Standard. If they do, then I think they have left out the documentation for that. For example, WSO2 has extensive documentation and training available to everyone. In that sense, I think, Apigee can improve.

I've been using Apigee for a few months.

It's a stable product. It's easy to manage, and we have implemented it for our production deployment.

Apigee is a scalable solution.

I never tried reaching out to tech support because the documentation is good. The documentation is available, and there is some training available on Udemy and the product site. These nicely describe how to deploy or set up different policies, which was enough for us.

The installation is straightforward. You just need to get a license for Apigee and then configure the reverse proxy. Once you have the reverse proxy configured, you have to set up whatever policies you want. One or two guys were able to install, deploy, and host our reverse proxy for our endpoint within a day.

We went through the documentation and the website and deployed the solution ourselves.

All these technologies are using Google Cloud for hosting our microservices, and we trialed Apigee. We were also using WSO2, an open-source API management tool, but as everything is on Google Cloud, we chose Apigee.

What other advice do I have?

If your workload is already deployed on Google Cloud, integration is very easy. Even if your services are hosted in some other cloud, like AWS, I think you can use Apigee, but I haven't tried that approach.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Apigee a seven.

Google
More Apigee reviews from users
...who compared it with Mulesoft Anypoint API Manager
Learn what your peers think about Apigee. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.