AppDynamics Review
It's been helping us to quickly pinpoint specific application problems, especially related to memory and slow queries.

Valuable Features

Viewing JVM performance and the business transactions for latency and SLA.

Improvements to My Organization

It helps us to quickly pinpoint specific application problems related to memory and slow queries.

Room for Improvement

Yes, the custom dashboard. Making custom dashboards is really tedious. I wish there was just a drag and drop to slap things together quickly.

Use of Solution

1 year

No. I've had some bugs where machines stop behaving correctly with the agents but a lot of it had to do with the fact that I had them joined under one product name and then I had changed the machine or put in a different one. A lot of these issues were probably self inflicted and not due to AppDynamics. Deployment has been pretty smooth.

None at all.

For what I'm doing it's been perfectly scalable to what I need.

Customer Service: Good. Initially with the sales engineer, we spoke about training but what ended up happened was that I needed to negotiate the price (which was fine) but what I missed was some of the hands on training. It's a complex product, and I could benefit from an online video, etc. because I didn't going through the formal training to learn the app. Some scenario driven walk thru's would be very helpful.Technical Support: It's been good. What I've needed to do is send them a whole pile of logs. It can be a pain digging them up but I understand why they need them to troubleshoot. You can't troubleshoot without them. I gather the logs, send them all on the ticket and I haven't had a problem with their response.

We weren't previously using another APM solution. We were only using a very basic Java profiler beforehand.

I was on my own, but it was fine. AppDynamics walked me through a few things because I had the free version installed on a different system and then we upgraded. They walked me through to make sure I had it set up correctly the first time. Deployment was easy.

ROI

With AppDynamics I'm really barely scratching surface with what it can do. I don't have any SLA metric configured or alerting. What I'm trying to do with AppDynamics is use it in such as way that it's a pulse on my app.

Other Solutions Considered

AppDynamics was the only product I evaluated in a production setting. All my previous APM use was in a development environment.

Other Advice

AppDynamics does exactly what it says it can do. It's well readable and easy to navigate. Configuration and changing things around is easy enough.
1 visitor found this review helpful

Get A Guided Tour

Take a no-obligation guided tour of AppDynamics APM that walks you through key features and benefits.

1 Comment

kapilmalik1983ConsultantTOP REVIEWER

Nice article!! AppDynamics has been used a lot these days in monitoring JVM performance and still there are lot of improvements needed like custom dashboard.

15 June 14