AppDynamics Application Analytics Review

Excellent and highly-automated; allows for problem analysis at code level

What is our primary use case?

With this solution, we see traditional use cases with companies that have a digital business model, such as insurance companies, travel or banking companies. It's really for where they have an application that is critical for the business and that brings in revenue. And when these applications are not available, they lose money.

For example, in the tourism sector, when you want to book a flight or just about anything, and the app is too slow, then the use case is quite easy to calculate because clients leave the page, go and find alternatives and don't come back.

Most of our customers are midsize and enterprise companies, it's not really a solution for small companies. We are an IT service provider and a Cisco partner, and we represent and invest in AppDynamics. I'm the Director of Application Performance Management.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it shows and gives you an application propo-topology straight away so you see the relationships between the different nodes. The other thing is that you can really look inside the method and analyze problems on the code level.

What needs improvement?

I think what AppDynamics is doing is a good way forward. They are currently investing in situations and environments, where clients use exclusively IT. In the past, it was only possible to monitor Java applications, .net applications, and the like, but they now have a particular agent for the SAP environment and that is a good thing.

It's a highly automated solution but still requires a few manual tweaks. I don't think that can be changed because every business to a certain extent is different.

I've been using the solution for 12 months.

It's a stable solution.

Scalability is fine. Actually, there is a very low overhead on the CPU. Even with big installations, the maximum overhead of the CPU is like 2% which is really fine. You don't feel it. You can easily add it into your environment without slowdowns or anything.

I think the technical support is quite okay, there is a lot of self service, so it's easy to resolve problems by yourself. And then you have the SLA's, the standard SLA's and SLA's that you agree with the company. We don't get many complaints about that. It usually works well.

DataDoc is a solution that we might have used but it's really suited to small companies. I would really say if you are an enterprise company, then AppDynamics is the product of choice, but if you are a small company, just starting a business and you need a solution that is quick and easy to install and gets up to speed very quickly, then DataDoc is an alternative.

AppDynamics has a lot of functionality, features - a whole set of functions around business IQ that required a lot of research. You have to make sure that you have a team in place to get the best out of the solution. It's a very rich tool and requires a structure within an organization. If you are a small company and you cannot guarantee that you have somebody on your team or a whole team to deal with it, you won't get the best out of it.

It is very easy to set up a first installation and to get results very quickly. It is a little bit more complex to do customizations. You do have a dashboard or standard dashboards where you can get business results or show business results, but you have to do a lot of customization because every business is different.

We carry out the implementation for customers.

Cost is reasonable. They have developed a very solid and good methodology to find out if the use case is valid, meaning whether there is a return on investment. If you find a valid use case, like in tourism, in banking, insurance, or even in production environments like manufacturing in confined business cases, then it's worth the investment. It's easy to calculate and the return on investment is quite quick. If the technical fit is not so good, it would be too expensive and not worth the investment.

What other advice do I have?

I would suggest a company takes the time to do an analysis of use cases, of the situation,of what you really need, and then pick the best fit. It's not something you compare by price or simply by features. It is something you should look into for your specific situation and then make a decision based on the use case, based on the business case, the justification that it gives your organization to invest in that tool. Take your time to do that.

The other thing is, when you invest in a very rich tool, make sure that you have the people in place to look after it or get a managed service to do it. It's not something that you install and it's there and you get the most out of it. You have to look after it.

I would rate this product a nine out of 10.

Hybrid Cloud