AppDynamics Database Monitoring Review

The solution only monitors delays and needs more monitoring options

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of the solution is for end-to-end visibility for all applications we choose to monitor.

What is most valuable?

The solution is great for database monitoring. You don't have to install an agent on the database. You just install the server to a database agent. It's a good product for some database administration if you don't want to install an agent on the database for security. AppDynamics does not install directly on the database but can monitor core transactions.

If we have different applications with different language and databases from different vendors, or different versions, we are still able to monitor the performance and delay for all the applications and discover the root cause for delays.

What needs improvement?

The solution should add some monitoring similar to Oracle monitoring tools for databases. Oracle has a lot of features to monitor SQL queries, and make some recommendations to resolve them. AppDynamics is just monitoring for delays and doesn't provide any recommendations. It's a deficiency.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability of the solution is very good.

The solution is scalable.

Technical support from AppDynamics is excellent.

The initial setup was very easy. You do not have to install any agent for the database. You just take and install the server for database agents and it will take care of all the connections and transactions as well as the database. It makes for a very simple installation. We had four or five people that assisted in the implementation and currently, we have one engineer who performs ongoing maintenance.

We had a consultant that assisted with the implementation.

Licensing for the solution is very complex. A different type of agent means a different type of license and subscription. Different languages, database types, and agents make a Dynamics license complex.

They do offer great discounts when bundling other AppDynamics licenses. For example, if a customer needs some license for a database agent, they can also take a license for end-user monitoring. I think AppDynamics has good options for budgets.

What other advice do I have?

We use the private cloud deployment model.

I would advise new users to not install AppDynamics for their database only. Just the database portion isn't dynamic enough without other portions of the AppDynamics suite.

I would rate all database applications nine out of ten, but I would rate just the database monitoring four out of ten.