AppDynamics Review
We investigated New Relic & dynaTrace before choosing AppDynamics to easily identify & rectify application slowdown

Benefits

We've used AppDynamics to easily identify application slowdowns and rectify them on several occasions. It has also helped in our QA environment to analyze new releases and ensure they are not harming performance.

Valuable Features

Stack trace of PHP calls through the application and timings of those calls.

Use of Solution

None.

Just that we've run out of agents in our license :P :(

Customer Service: 10 out of 10, all our questions and issues have been addressed and resolved quickly.Technical Support: 10 out of 10, as above, all questions and issues have been addressed and resolved quickly.

No, AppDynamics was our first.

Very simple- install controller, install agents, configure agents, done.

Implementation Team

In-house

ROI

Quicker turnaround on finding/resolving issues or improving performance, which leads to improved client experiences.

Other Solutions Considered

We investigated several other APM solutions prior to going with AppDynamics, specifically New Relic and dynaTrace.

Other Advice

Read up on documentation, and play around with the config settings, there is a vast wealth of information that can be retrieved if you know how to look for it.

3 visitors found this review helpful

Get A Guided Tour

Take a no-obligation guided tour of AppDynamics APM that walks you through key features and benefits.

9 Comments

kapilmalik1983ConsultantTOP REVIEWER

What hardware did you use for AppDynamics implementation? Is it OS dependent? Can we implement in Linux infrastructure?

18 May 14
it_user3876ConsultantPOPULAR

Hi. Can you please tell which feature of AppDynamics makes it superior on other Application Performance Management solutions like New Relic and dynaTrace?

18 May 14
it_user112185Real UserPOPULAR

@kapilmalik1983 - There are many different operating systems supported by AppDynamics, we ourselves implement it in several ubuntu environments. The controller operates on either Linux (.sh script for installation) or Windows in both 32 and 64bit packages. The available app agents are: Sun and JRockit JVM, IBM JVM, .NET (32 and 64bit), PHP (32/64bit .tar.bz2 that unpacks a java machine, or .rpm package), and they recently implemented an android and ios agent (I don't know how these work though).

20 May 14
kapilmalik1983ConsultantTOP REVIEWER

That's really nice if it can be implemented on android and ios agents as they are well demanding in market. Did you face any challenges with customer or technical support during implementation or you were able to implement it without any issues? How long does it take for installation?

24 May 14
reviewer139791User

Hi.
What is preventing you from moving performance improvement project forward?
I still see a lot of perf outliers. Are they (AppD) still filtering based on averages, the 'browser based metrics' is pretty young feature of AppD - so I'm not sure if it's solid enough. Anyway - I don't like averages and means when it comes to reporting about performance improvement over time.

11 July 14
it_user143925User

I have not seen the feature differences between the three tooling: AppDynamics, New Relic and DynaTrace?

31 July 14
Dom FitzgibbonReal UserTOP 20

Yes agreed. It would be nice to understand the actual differences between the three that influenced your decision.

06 August 14
it_user136530Vendor

Hi. I believe you need to choose the APM tool based on your own specific needs. A feature-to-feature comparison is not always the best. It depends on so many things (your apps, your environment, your role, your methodology). I believe all APM tools out there are doing a good job in the use cases they support. From a dynaTrace point of view you can read up on a blog I recently wrote: http://apmblog.compuware.com/2014/06/24/choosing-the-right-apm-system/
My overall advice is: get these tools (AppD, NewRelic and dynaTrace -> they all offer a free trial) and test them out in your environment.

08 September 14
David ChuaReal User

I recently start to investigate the solutions from both network perspective and application angel, offering the end user the holistic information for both operation team and customer-facing team.

The features are almost the same. But the business model differs a lot.

08 February 15