AppDynamics Review

We investigated New Relic & dynaTrace before choosing AppDynamics to easily identify & rectify application slowdown

How has it helped my organization?

We've used AppDynamics to easily identify application slowdowns and rectify them on several occasions. It has also helped in our QA environment to analyze new releases and ensure they are not harming performance.

What is most valuable?

Stack trace of PHP calls through the application and timings of those calls.

None.

Just that we've run out of agents in our license :P :(

Customer Service: 10 out of 10, all our questions and issues have been addressed and resolved quickly.Technical Support: 10 out of 10, as above, all questions and issues have been addressed and resolved quickly.

No, AppDynamics was our first.

Very simple- install controller, install agents, configure agents, done.

In-house

Quicker turnaround on finding/resolving issues or improving performance, which leads to improved client experiences.

We investigated several other APM solutions prior to going with AppDynamics, specifically New Relic and dynaTrace.

What other advice do I have?

Read up on documentation, and play around with the config settings, there is a vast wealth of information that can be retrieved if you know how to look for it.

More AppDynamics reviews from users
...who compared it with Dynatrace
9 Comments

Top ReviewerVendor

What hardware did you use for AppDynamics implementation? Is it OS dependent? Can we implement in Linux infrastructure?

author avatarit_user3876 (Database Manager at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees)

Hi. Can you please tell which feature of AppDynamics makes it superior on other Application Performance Management solutions like New Relic and dynaTrace?

author avatarit_user112185 (Developer with 1,001-5,000 employees)

@kapilmalik1983 - There are many different operating systems supported by AppDynamics, we ourselves implement it in several ubuntu environments. The controller operates on either Linux (.sh script for installation) or Windows in both 32 and 64bit packages. The available app agents are: Sun and JRockit JVM, IBM JVM, .NET (32 and 64bit), PHP (32/64bit .tar.bz2 that unpacks a java machine, or .rpm package), and they recently implemented an android and ios agent (I don't know how these work though).

author avatarit_user2652 (Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employees) (Bureau Veritas)
Top ReviewerVendor

That's really nice if it can be implemented on android and ios agents as they are well demanding in market. Did you face any challenges with customer or technical support during implementation or you were able to implement it without any issues? How long does it take for installation?

author avatarit_user139791 (User)

Hi.
What is preventing you from moving performance improvement project forward?
I still see a lot of perf outliers. Are they (AppD) still filtering based on averages, the 'browser based metrics' is pretty young feature of AppD - so I'm not sure if it's solid enough. Anyway - I don't like averages and means when it comes to reporting about performance improvement over time.

author avatarit_user143925 (User)

I have not seen the feature differences between the three tooling: AppDynamics, New Relic and DynaTrace?

author avatarDom Fitzgibbon
Top 20Real User

Yes agreed. It would be nice to understand the actual differences between the three that influenced your decision.

author avatarit_user136530 (User with 201-500 employees)

Hi. I believe you need to choose the APM tool based on your own specific needs. A feature-to-feature comparison is not always the best. It depends on so many things (your apps, your environment, your role, your methodology). I believe all APM tools out there are doing a good job in the use cases they support. From a dynaTrace point of view you can read up on a blog I recently wrote: http://apmblog.compuware.com/2014/06/24/choosing-the-right-apm-system/
My overall advice is: get these tools (AppD, NewRelic and dynaTrace -> they all offer a free trial) and test them out in your environment.

author avatarit_user191439 (Sales Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees)

I recently start to investigate the solutions from both network perspective and application angel, offering the end user the holistic information for both operation team and customer-facing team.

The features are almost the same. But the business model differs a lot.