AppDynamics Review

Useful metrics and amazing snapshots of transactions are two reason why we chose AppDynamics over CA and Compuware.

Benefits

We have been able to proactively correct issues from newly launched applications without even receiving complaints from the end users, and the amazement of users when you notify them personally that an error they never reported has been corrected is priceless.

Valuable Features

The detailed metrics that are collected about the JVM and the transaction snapshots, those have been most valuable to us to correct complex bugs.

Room for Improvement

The granularity of historic data could be improved.

Use of Solution

The Java agent never was the cause of any application crash since we've used them.

So far we have never reached the limits of AppDynamics Pro, it scales at our pace.

Customer Service: AppDynamics is one of those rare companies that put the customer experience first. Once you become a customer you are appointed a technical account manager that helps you get the most out of your investment. I have a conference call with mine every other week and it really improves our understanding and use of the solution.Technical Support: Very good, we never had any major issue and we have always been helped promptly.

We did not use a comparable solution before, we choose AppDynamics when we initially compared the different Application Performance Management solutions.

Setting up AppDynamics is a breeze. We never encountered any installation issue nor with the Java agents, machine agents or the controller. We always installed the components ourselves without any help other than the documentation.

Implementation Team

As mentioned before we implemented it ourselves without any external help.

ROI

Our ROI is very good, the areas that profited the most were productivity, customer experience, software quality and bug fixing time.

Other Solutions Considered

AppDynamics was chosen over several competitors which we evaluated: CA Wiley and Compuware dynaTrace.

Other Advice

I rate the AppDynamics Pro usability, stability and customer experience as the best. This solution is very advanced and they keep on improving the features that make it great. Once you use AppDynamics it feels like you were standing in the dark before. Implementing it is a breeze even if you never used it before, and out of the box it gives you so much useful information that you only need to fine-tune it. I never heard of any other product that is up and running this fast.

3 visitors found this review helpful
7 Comments
Project Manager at a non-tech company with 10,001+ employeesConsultantTOP REVIEWER

Nice write up !! What are the alternate products for AppDynamics?

18 May 14
OwnerReal User

Well, I can write almost exactly the same (and positive) feedback, for Compuware dynaTrace except for the Deployment Issues section. We had none after deploying almost 50 agents in Production environments, no issues for JVMs and no issues for .NET (which is usually more challenging than JVM deployment).

But is this article sponsored by AppDynamics?

The reason I'm asking is, if I go through the Community Guidelines, we are supposed to provide a Balanced Perspective (which I could provide comparing CPWR & CA & AppDynamics), but I can not see any "balance" on the article (or is just that English is not my native language).

I can write down a review of CA Wily and AppDynamics if you'd like me to, but it should be a comprehensive matrix, open to the public, with proper level of details.

Thanks!

19 June 14
Ariel LindenfeldCommunity Mgr

Thanks for commenting Carlos. The review mentions an area where AppDynamics has room for improvement and discusses a deployment issue which they encountered. This conforms to our community guidelines which states that reviews should include both pros and cons about the solution.

If you can provide a review comparing CPWR, CA and AppDynamics, that would be great. I'm sure the community would benefit from reading it.

19 June 14

Yes Carlos, we will be glad to see your review of CA Wily and AppDynamics with comprehensive matrix and with proper level of details you are discussing!! Also, thanks for your nice comments!!

22 June 14
UserUser

pretty obvious that this is a customer testimonial for appd and not a fair and balanced review, no need for blatant favoritism or clear promotion of one solution over the others within this community, there's plenty of that elsewhere...

23 June 14
Ariel LindenfeldCommunity Mgr

Hi reviewer135780,

As with all reviews posted on IT Central Station, we've validated that this review was submitted by a real AppDynamics user based on their experiences with the solution.

If you have any questions about what the reviewer wrote, feel free to post them for the reviewer to respond to.

24 June 14
Engineer with 201-500 employeesVendor

I would say the clear title of AppDynamcs vs. other major competitors would be a clear indication that this is a gamed review. It makes it is searchable and easily shared in multiple channels. There are other such reviews that have a very similar structure. If this is a typical review I would expect to see very similar posts from other competitors in the space. I just don't see that. Do you see posts with titles like "We picked New Relic over AppDymamics, CA, and Compuware"? or We love CA APM better than AppDynamics and New Relic. No. Only in cases of AppD do you see this. I would discount most of these types of reviews as they are not an accurate portrayal.

25 June 14