AppDynamics Review

It has automatic flow maps to visualize application environments, and a native mobile agent.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• Automatic flow maps to visualize application environment
  • Snapshots of method-level execution timing
  • Automatic baselines of all metrics
  • Native mobile agent

How has it helped my organization?

The product has improved our understanding of system performance. It has given us more time to find and fix problems.

What needs improvement?

This product could be improved by having a cross-application flow that can split the monitored systems into smaller business applications. I would like to see more flexible custom dashboards.

We have used this solution for four years.

The earlier version of the .NET agent had some problems with stability and performance, but I found no stability issues with the current version.

If you design a very big business application, visibility will suffer due to a large number of tiers and transactions.

The technical support was one of the absolute best in the industry. Tickets are promptly processed and escalated. There was no terrible first level support to 'get through' before getting to the right level. I was able to get the level of support I needed right away.

I had a brief experience with Dynatrace at another company.

It was very simple to install the controller and install some of the agents with default settings.

Get the full scope of the price including analytics, real-user monitoring (RUM) and anything that might be relevant from the start. You might get a worse price when adding licenses in the middle of a licensing period since you are already locked in.

We evaluated Dynatrace before we chose this product.

What other advice do I have?

Take some time to train technicians and development personal who will use the tool. Make sure you design the correct Business Applications and Business Transactions.

4.2.5
More AppDynamics reviews from users
...who compared it with Dynatrace
Learn what your peers think about AppDynamics. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.