AppDynamics Review

Provides an overview of the performance bottlenecks at different layers of the application landscape.

What is most valuable?

Once all the metrics are collated during the analysis phase, the troubleshooting section is very important to me. It provides the entire overview of the performance bottlenecks at different layers of the application landscape.

It helps me to prioritize my activities in solving or fine-tuning the application. It helps me in my interactions with the development, infrastructure, and operations teams.

This solution helps us conduct Root Cause Analysis (RCA) of critical performance issues. We can communicate clearly with detailed insights. This saves time and prevents ambiguities.

How has it helped my organization?

As a performance engineering architect and a practice evangelist for performance engineering practice, this has enabled our performance tester to provide more engineering value-based solutions/deep dives. These showed how the applications fared during the load conditions and linked the performance bottleneck to the exact line of code.

This practice has transitioned our testers to “engineers”. AppDynamics solutions complement performance testing.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the following:

• A better way to export data to reports.
  • A better way of distributing the AppDynamics reports with deep dive details.
  • Better integration with load testing tools such as NeoLoad and JMeter. The current integration is very cumbersome.

I have been using APM tools since 2004. I have been implementing this solution across different industries for the past year and a half.

We have not had any issues with stability.

We have not had any issues with scalability.

Technical support is very good. We have a good team working with Wipro and AppDynamics.

The auto-discovery was good. It was a straightforward configuration of agents on web and app servers.

I truly appreciated the SaaS license mode that provides the AppDynamics controller on the cloud. There are bits and pieces of licenses that need to be procured in order to have a complete APM. This includes application, server health, browser-level monitoring, UEM, and DB monitoring.

When you add this all up, the price is not appealing. The procurement of AppDynamics licenses is a bit tricky. You need to be careful with it.

What other advice do I have?

AppDynamics has come a long way in terms of user friendliness with day-to-day use. This solution has an edge over others in terms of adaptability between team members with different roles and responsibilities.

You should start off with application monitoring licenses which provide very user-friendly functionality. You need to spend more time to generate the reports with deeper insights.