AppDynamics Review

Gives the devs more visibility and ownership but Power User training was unhelpful

What is most valuable?

I'd say BTs, and being able to set health goals. Those probably would be the best. Second to that would be being able to monitor what's going on in real-time, this is going to make a big difference.

I think that previously we were more reactionary than proactive. I hope that this is what we can really get out of AppDynamics, the switch to a more proactive stance. Before anybody else knows what is going on, we will know, and we will be able to cut down our meantime to fixes going out, and to identifying them.

How has it helped my organization?

Looking at it from the standpoint of a developer, I see the biggest improvement being that it gives the developers more visibility and ownership, it really lets them see what is going on. I feel that this will lead the devs to make better code and better decisions. It will help them be more cognizant of resources, and other things.

What needs improvement?

I went through the Power User training, and it was kind of like drinking from a fire hose. As a dev, I would like to see something that is more tailored towards us, instead of having just a general quick Power User session.

I haven't been able to get the full benefit of AppDynamics yet because I haven't had any time to sit down and actually go through production.

I have not seen any problems with the stability. It seems to be very stable.

I have not heard of any problems with the scalability.

We have used the technical support and it was very good. We had a good response.

We were not previously using a different solution. We decided to invest in AppDynamics because we wanted to move from being reactionary to being proactive, that's really what it comes down to. Instead of our customers calling us up and saying, "There is something going on," now we will know it before they do, and hopefully we will be resolving it before they even notice.

We are looking into also utilizing Database Monitoring. We're still checking that out.

What other advice do I have?

My criteria when choosing a vendor would be the reputation behind them, the product they bring to the table, and of course the pricing. I wasn't involved in selecting AppDynamics but I know that these criteria always play a role in everything.

I would recommend AppDynamics to my colleagues, because the solution works. It really comes down to whether or not the price point works for them.