AppDynamics Review

Alerts, responds and monitors standard deviation.

What is most valuable?

The ability to alert, respond and monitor standard deviation: If it’s not broken, don’t go fix it!

How has it helped my organization?

• Root cause analysis of issues in real time when they happen, alerted upon within moments of identification.

What needs improvement?

Enhancements for Docker would be great (log aggregator for Docker logdriver, etc.). No competitors are doing this well today, either.

I have used AppDynamics for two years.

We have not had stability issues for end-users, but for admins specifically, the UI can be slow, since they can see all applications/nodes/etc.

We have not had scalability issues so far, although there is not a strong federated aggregate model for on-premise controllers.

Technical support is excellent (5/5). They are very responsive and technically intelligent.

We didn’t switch.

Initial setup was straightforward/simple.

If you can go SaaS, that might be your best option. I was not able to do so in my environment.

Architecture of the platform and license management need improvement. They’re working on both per my understanding. We have many lines of business and licensing for on-premise has been difficult to meet our needs (segregation of costs), but we’ve could work through it.

We evaluated many simultaneously. We use many of them still.

• Dynatrace
  • New Relic
  • BlueStripe
  • Pinpoint APM (free and pretty awesome honestly). It is open source, and we may eventually contribute back to it as time permits.

What other advice do I have?

It is an up-and-coming company that operates like a startup. They’re fast to find ways to implement changes for their customers.