AppDynamics Review

We are able to correlate performance between tiers

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is application performance monitoring. It performs well.

How has it helped my organization?

It has improved my organization because we are able to proactively and reactively look at performance issues.

What is most valuable?

• Looking at every tier in the application's path.
  • Being able to correlate performance between tiers.
  • Being able to drill down within the individual tiers for metrics.

What needs improvement?

It needs strengthening in the database tiers.

It seems stable.

The scalability is very good.

We have used the technical support, and it is very good.

The previous solution seemed to be stagnated, in terms of its ability to monitor new technologies and its ability to move into a cloud/SaaS environment.

It was both straightforward and complex to set up, like any tool. General configuration is usually straightforward, and when you start to look for integration or enhanced capabilities, that is when things start to get complex.

Cost and licensing will constantly go up, so there are some cost opportunities there.

The way it is structured in terms of price could be better. You pay for individual modules and that adds on to the cost, which detracts you from implementing those modules and slows you down. It would be better if there were more solutions incorporated into the base price.

We evaluated AppDynamics vs New Relic APM and Precise. It was really a customer-driven mandate at the time, so I do not know if it was a fair comparison end-to-end of capabilities and cost.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the whole picture. Take into consideration what you get for specific pricing models and how much it costs to add on things you may need later.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: cost.